New Roof At Sutton Hall

Residents of Sutton are celebrating the completion of a project to replace the ageing asbestos roof on the village Memorial Hall.

The hall was built in 1948 by local residents on land donated to the parish by the local landowners, the Paul family. The building was constructed with the usual materials available at that time, namely reinforced concrete frame with block walls and an asbestos roof.

Succeeding generations of residents have upgraded the hall over the years by adding a side hall and kitchen, insulation, double glazing and heating. Most recently, the kitchen was refurbished.

However, during recent heavy rainfalls, it was apparent that the roof was beginning to leak and needed replacing. The Memorial Hall committee immediately commenced raising funds to enable this to take place. By spring of this year, with the help of an Exemplar Programme Grant from Suffolk Coastal District Council, an allocation from the Locality Budget of District Councillor Christine Block, and a grant from the Awards for All Big Lottery Fund, sufficient funds were available for the work to take place.

The contract was awarded to J C Services (Anglia) Ltd., who worked with the committee to find a vacant slot in the hall bookings for the work to be carried out. They, in turn, had to choose two dry days within that period to remove the old roof and replace it with new composite sheets. This was successfully done over the weekend of July 1st and 2nd.

The completion of this project ensures that the facilities available to the local community within the hall for weddings, parties, friendship lunches, quiz nights and other activities are protected for the foreseeable future. Sutton Memorial Hall Committee are very grateful to everyone who has made this project possible.

For more information, visit:

Comments are closed.