Martlesham Parish Council Updates
We all have personal challenges relating to Covid-19 but please continue to support and look after each other in safe ways.
Here are some key contacts if you or anyone you know is struggling:
- Home, But Not Alone – 0800 876 6926: Support for clinically extremely vulnerable to access support with shopping, medication and community volunteers.
- NHS Volunteer Responders – 0808 196 3646: Support with shopping, medication, transport to appointments and friendly check-in calls.
- Non-Urgent Medical Issues – Support available via 111 or www.111.nhs.uk. Your local GP surgery is also available as usual.
- Mental Health – 111 / Wellbeing Suffolk – 0300 123 1781. If in crisis, Samaritans can help too – 116 123.
- Financial Support: Suffolk Advice and Support Service – 0800 068 3131. Council Tax, Housing Benefit – 0333 016 2000.
- Social Care/Safeguarding: Customer First – Adults 0800 917 1109 / Children 0800 800 4005. Webchat also available at: www.suffolk.gov.uk/about/contact-us
- Foodbanks: The Teapot Project, Woodbridge: www.theteapotproject.net / Families in Need – 01473 83335.
For the latest information on coronavirus, please visit: www.gov.uk/coronavirus.
Two Parish Councillor Vacancies
Two vacancies remain for parish councillors to be co-opted at a full council meeting. If you are interested in what it means to be a parish councillor, visit our website and Facebook page, join a Zoom council or committee meeting, or contact the clerk who can put you in touch with an existing councillor to hear all about it first-hand. All our meetings are currently held online and staff are working from home. Despite this, we have recruited three new councillors in the past year who have been busy supporting our work and bringing forward fresh projects to benefit our parish.
Work of the Recreation & Amenities Committee
The parish council has three main committees. Here is a flavour of what our Recreation and Amenities Committee does from its chairman, Ian O’Brien Baker: The committee implements the parish council’s land maintenance contract. This includes cutting the grass and maintenance of the land around the village hall in Top Street, Kronji’s Piece and the Recreation Ground in The Street, the community hall complex and the picnic area in Felixstowe Road, and the Green on Martlesham Heath. Our contractor looks after our four play areas and the bike trails, carrying out repairs as well as grass cutting. They keep the bus shelters clean and tidy. and undertake general maintenance. Several working groups report directly to the committee – Sports Fund, Community Orchard, Wildflower Project, Kronji’s Piece & Recreation Ground Steering Group and Portal Woodlands Conservation Group. It oversees the work of volunteers. We are particularly grateful to councillors and non-councillors who regularly inspect our play areas, trees and footpaths.
We should not forget to acknowledge the help of the Greenways Countryside Project in maintaining the Common Local Nature Reserve behind the community hall. James Baker, the project manager, has worked with us for many years and has established a new five-year management plan for the area, which will be funded by money secured from the developer of the Travis Perkins site on Felixstowe Road. We did object to this development but at least there is some compensation. We hope this gives you some insight into how the council spends your money on looking after our environment.
Virtual Meetings / all 7.30pm
Wednesday 03 February: Parish Council Meeting
Wednesday 10 February: Development Plans Committee
Wednesday 24 February: Finance & General Purposes Committee
Wednesday 03 March: Parish Council Meeting
Members of the public are welcome to observe and participate in the public
To join any of these meetings, please contact the clerk (see below) no later than 5pm the day before the meeting to receive an invitation or see our website or noticeboards for further details.
CONTACTING THE COUNCIL
Clerk to Martlesham Parish Council, Parish Room, Felixstowe Road, Martlesham IP12 4PB. Telephone: 01473 612632 – please leave a message. If no reply and we will get back to you as necessary.