Making Space For Swifts In Halesworth
The swifts that left Halesworth last August will be returning here again in early May. They will be hoping to nest in their traditional nest sites in buildings around the town. However some will be disappointed as their nest sites will have been demolished or blocked by renovations.
Halesworth people are helping these long-distance travellers to find new homes by providing nest boxes around the town.
This year The Cut Arts Centre is installing six new swift nest boxes high up where returning birds will find a new safe haven. There will also be a sound system playing swift calls to attract them to the new boxes.
Lovewell Blake Chartered Accountants and Financial Planners are also making space for nest boxes at their Halesworth office near The Cut.
Save our Suffolk Swifts project is grateful to these businesses for making space for swifts!
Save our Suffolk Swifts, a partnership between Suffolk Wildlife Trust and Suffolk Ornithologists’ Group is working across the county to record swift activity and encourage individuals and businesses to provide nest boxes.
More about swifts in Halesworth and District
- Several commercial buildings in Halesworth including the World Land Trust in the Thoroughfare already have swift boxes in place. However, there is room for more businesses to offer space.
- If your office building has swifts nesting or is near a building that you know has swifts visiting, please consider having a nest box on your building.
- The design of modern buildings often leaves no space in which swifts can nest. Nest boxes can be added to (or even built into) buildings to provide a nesting space for swifts. Swifts do not make a mess!
- In Suffolk, developers Hopkins Homes have committed to include swift bricks in all their new builds. https://www.hopkinshomes.co.uk/hopkins-homes-backs-save-our-suffolk-swifts-campaign
- There are also swift nest boxes on private properties in Halesworth and Holton. The owners are delighted when “their” swifts return year after year.
- Making Space for Swifts in Halesworth is a long-term project that aims to ensure we hear those summer birds above us for many years to come.
Contact email: [email protected]