Plastic Free Communities is a movement to engage and connect individuals, communities and businesses in the collective effort to reduce the flow of single-use plastics into the marine environment.
Plastic Free Manningtree, Mistley & Lawford is one of hundreds of communities across the whole of the UK and Community Allies are an integral part of helping each one to build on its journey to turn the tide on plastic pollution.
Mansion House Publishing (In Touch) has become a Community Ally and signed the Plastic Free Communities Pledge which commits us to:
1. Working to remove at least three single-use plastic items from our day-to-day activities
2. Including our stance on single-use plastic in communications
3. Raising awareness and supporting plastic free initiatives in the community
Community action is key to a successful Plastic Free Community. Ensuring as many people as possible are aware of the plastic crisis and how they can take action offers the best chance for change as together we can tackle avoidable single-use plastic, from beaches and green spaces back to the brands and businesses who create it.
Who can be a Community Ally?
- Nurseries, schools and colleges are important allies as they help reach the next generation to raise awareness and form new habits.
- Community spaces such as village or community halls, libraries, galleries and venues are another place where the plastic free message can be communicated to a diverse audience.
- Community organisations including Brownie and Scout groups, WI groups, sports teams, creative groups, faith centres and even existing environmental groups are also invited to become allies, as are event organisers who can help spread the plastic free word to their audiences.
We hope you will join with us and hundreds of others across the country to inspire, unite and empower individuals and communities to take action to protect oceans, beaches, waves and wildlife.
Together we can make a difference.